David Georges Emmerich, Empilement autotendant à barres orthogonales dans un réseau icosaèdrique tendu, 1981 Collection Frac Centre-Val de Loire.
Originally from Hungary, David Georges Emmerich was deported to Auschwitz in 1944, and then to Flossenburg, Dachau and finally Esslinger. After the liberation of the camp, he went on to study architecture at the Budapest Polytechnic University, and continued in Israel with Yona Friedman. He settled in France in 1953 and completed his education at the École des Beaux-Arts de Paris. In 1956, he participated in the 10th International Congress of Modern Architecture (CIAM) in Dubrovnik and then in the creation of the Groupe d’Etudes d’Architecture Mobile (GEAM) in 1957. His research led him to develop “exercises in self-construction,” which he then presented at seminars in the U.S., England, Morocco and Israel. Appointed professor at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in 1960, and then at the Ecole de la Villette in 1970 where he taught until his retirement in 1990, Emmerich also published numerous articles in many magazines on architecture (L’Architecture d’Aujourd’hui, Techniques & Architecture) and on structural morphology (Le Carré bleu).
More information on Frac Centre-Val de Loire’s website.